Bioenergy RIBOSE™ and Heart Health
Scientific and clinical studies have repeatedly shown that Bioenergy RIBOSE can restore energy and improve function in ischemic, hypoxic, and failing hearts. Oxygen deprivation causes hearts to use energy faster than it can be replaced through normal processes of tissue energy turnover. The result is a depletion of cellular energy reserves translating to loss of heart function.
Millions of Americans suffer the affects of coronary artery disease, and the prevalence of congestive heart failure is reaching epidemic proportions. Recent research has also proven that high-intensity endurance exercise places a considerable strain on the heart, leading to a loss of diastolic heart function that persists for several weeks to months following an event. Other research, conducted at the Mayo Clinic and published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, showed that and average of 26% of the population, male and female, have symptoms of cardiac diastolic dysfunction. More than half of those affected are unaware of their condition, but all are at risk for developing congestive heart failure.
When hearts lose energy, they first suffer a loss of diastolic function. The diastolic phase of the heartbeat is the relaxation phase, during which the heart fills with blood for the next heartbeat. A loss of diastolic capacity means less blood will circulate to the body during each beat, and frequently leads to a thickening and expansion of the heart muscle, known as hypertrophy. The result of chronic diastolic dysfunction can be congestive heart failure. For patients, the progressive consequence of the disease is shortness of breath, loss of exercise capacity, overwhelming fatigue, and worse.
Bioenergy RIBOSE increases cardiac energy to help fuel the heart. For patients, this can mean more energy and a higher quality of life. For athletes, it can enhance recovery following a strenuous exercise bout.
Bioenergy has prepared a white paper on the effect of Bioenergy RIBOSE in ischemic, hypoxic, and failing hearts, or you can refer to a complete list of references below for more information.
- Orly Carter, Dean MacCarter, Steve Mannebach, Joseph Biskupiak, Greg Stoddard, Edward M. Gilbert, Mark A. Munger, D-Ribose Supplementation Improves Peak Exercise Capacity And Ventilatory Efficiency In Heart Failure Patients JACC 2005;45(3 Suppl A):185A - Abstract (PDF)
- Daniel F. Pauly MD PhD, and Carl J. Lepine MD D-Ribose As A Supplementation For Cardiac Eenery Metabolism J Card Parm Ther 5(4):249-258, 2000 - Full Paper (PDF)
- Daniel F. Pauly MD PhD, C Johnson, J A St.Cyr, The Benefits Of Ribose In Cardiovascular Disease Med Hypoth (2003) 60(2), 149-151 - Full Paper (PDF)
- Heyder Omran, Steffan Illien, Dean MacCarter, J. St.Cyr, Berndt Luderitz, D-Ribose Improves Diastolic Function And Qualtiy Of Life In Congestive Heart Failure Patients: A Prospective Feasability Study Eur Jour Hrt Fail 2003;5 615-619 - Full Paper (PDF)
- D. Perkowski, S. Wagner, A. Marcus, J. St.Cyr, D-Ribose And "Off" Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Aids In Cardiac Indicies Following Myocardial Infarction Abstract Presentation July 16-21, 2005 - Abstract (PDF)
- D. Perkowski, S. Wagner, A. Marcus, J. St.Cyr, Ribose Enhances Ventricular Function Following Off Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery Abstract Presentation January 7-9, 2005 - Abstract (PDF)
- D. Perkowski, S. Wagner, A. Marcus, J. St.Cyr, Pre-Surgical Loading Of Oral D-Ribose Improves Cardiac Index In Patients Undergoing "Off" Pump Coronary Artery Revascularization FASEB J (Part 1) 2005; 19(4): A695 - Abstract (PDF)
- Wolfgang Pliml, Thomas Von Arnim, Alexander Stablein, Hubert Hofmann, Heinz-Gerd Zimmer, Erland Erdmann, Effects Of Ribose On Exercise-Induced Ischemia In Stable Coronary Artery Disease The Lancet 340(8818): 507-510 - Full Paper (PDF)
- Ram Sharma, Mark Munger, Sheldon Litwin, Orly Vardeny, Dean MacCarter, John St.Cyr, D-Ribose Improves Dopples Tei Myocardial Performance Index And Maximal Exercise Capacity In Stage C Heart Failure JMCC 38(5): 853, 2005 - Abstract (PDF)
- Nampalli Vijay, Dean MacCarter, Melinda Washam, Mark Munger, John St.Cyr, D-Ribose Improves Ventilatory Efficiency In Congestive Heart Failure Patients (NYHA Classes II-IV) Abstract Presentation September 18-21, 2005 - Abstract (PDF)
- Nampalli Vijay, Dean MacCarter, Melinda Washam, John St.Cyr, Ventilatory Efficiency Improves With D-Ribose In Congestive Heart Failure Patients JMCC 38(5): 820, 2005 - Abstract (PDF)
- W Wallen, M Belanger, C Wittnich, Preischemic Administration Of Ribose To Delay The Onset Of Irreversible Ischemic Injury And Improve Function: Studies In Normal And Hypertrophied Hearts Can. J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 81: 40-47 (2003) - Full Paper (PDF)
- R Wilson, D. MacCarter, J St.Cyr, D-Ribose Enhances The Identification Of Hibernating Myocardium Heart Drug 3:61-62, 2003 - Full Paper (PDF)